Font Size


Candidates FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions for Candidates

How do I file Nomination Papers?

Nominations can be filed starting May 1, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. and ending July 27, 2018 at 2:00 p.m. You must fill out the Nomination Form and file it with the municipal clerk. Nominations must be on the prescribed form and are to be filed with the Clerk or his or her designate at the Municipal Office, 33011 Hwy 62N, Maynooth, ON in the following manner:

 In person or through an agent;

 During regular office hours at the Clerk’s Office from May 1, 2018 to Thursday, July 26, 2018 during regular office hours, and between 9:00 am and 2:00 pm on Friday, July 27, 2018 (Nomination Day);

 With the endorsement of nomination for Council, being at least 25 signatures;

 With the prescribed statement of qualifications, signed by the person being nominated;

 With the prescribed nomination fee of $200.00 for head of Council and $100.00 for all other offices – the filing fee shall be paid by cash, cheque, money order or by debit machine;

 With proof of identity and residence as prescribed in O. Reg. 304/13. No electronic transmitted nomination paper will be accepted – original signatures are required. Nomination papers for school boards must be filed at the appropriate municipal office.

How do I know which Ward to run in?

Hastings Highlands passed a bylaw in 2017 that dissolved all wards for the 2018 Election. Candidates will be elected At Large. There will be one race for MAYOR, one race for DEPUTY MAYOR, and one race for
Five (5) COUNCILLOR positions, spanning the entire Municipality of Hastings Highlands.

Have there been any changes to legislation since the last election?

Please be advised of the Amendments to the Municipal Elections Act, 1996

• Term of Office:
Change the term of office for the 2018-2022 term of council to end on November 14, 2022.

• Contribution Limits:
Raise the limit for contributions to a single candidate or third party advertiser from $750 to $1200, consistent with the provincial limits.

• Self-funding Limit:
Impose a self-funding limit for municipal council candidates based on the number of electors voting for the office, to a maximum of $25,000 per candidate. The formula for calculating the limit would be $7500 + $0.20 per elector for head of council, and $5000 + $0.20 per elector for other council offices.

• Exemption to the 25 Signature Requirement for Nomination to Council:
Candidates in municipalities with fewer than 4,000 electors in the last election will be exempt from the
requirement to obtain 25 nomination endorsement signatures through a regulation.
The Municipallity of Hastings Highlands had more than 4,000 electors in the 2014 Election.

Please click on the link for more information:

Are candidates required to provide a list of citizens supporting their nomination?

YES. There is a new requirement that anyone wishing to run for office on a council must submit the signatures of 25 voters supporting the nomination. The individuals providing the signatures will each have to sign a declaration (form available in the documents section of the 'Candidate Info' TAB) stating that they were eligible to vote in the municipality on the day that they signed the endorsement. If a candidate files a nomination, and then changes their mind and decides to run for a different office on the same council, they are not required to submit new signatures.
The requirement to submit 25 nomination signatures does not apply to candidates running for school board trustee positions.

How do you determine which name goes on the ballot ie. nicknames?

You should write down your name as you want it to appear on the ballot. The name as it appears on the Nomination Paper is the name to be used on the ballot. If a nickname is to be used, it is subject to the discretion and approval of the Clerk. You do not have to provide all of your names under Given Name(s) on the form. Only provide the one(s) that you want to appear on the ballot.

I filed my nomination papers, can I assume my name will appear on the ballot?

No. The Clerk is required to certify each nomination after it has been filed. The Clerk will verify the candidate’s name is on the Voters’ List and eligibility. It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure they meet all the qualifications and file proper nomination papers. Each candidate is responsible to ensure that their forms are in order. The deadline to certifiy the nomination papers is past the nomination deadline and this may result in papers being rejected.
*** The clerk must be satisfied that you are eligible to run in order to certify your nomination. If your nomination is not certified, your name will not appear on the ballot.

What happens if no candidate comes forward for the Mayoral race, even after the extension of nomination period?

Municipal Elections Act - Filling vacancies, other offices
(4)  If an office remains vacant on any other body after the declaration of the election of candidates by acclamation under this section and the declaration of the election of candidates following the conduct of the election for offices on the body, the following rules apply:

  1. If the number of candidates declared elected is insufficient to form a quorum, a by-election shall be held.
    If the number of candidates declared elected is sufficient to form a quorum, clause 263 (1) (a) of the Municipal Act, 2001 or clause 208 (1) (a) of the City of Toronto Act, 2006, as the case may be, applies. 1996, c. 32, Sched., s. 37 (4); 2002, c. 17, Sched. D, s. 13 (2); 2002, c. 17, Sched. F, Table; 2006, c. 32, Sched. C, s. 34 (5).

  2. Municipal Act, 2001 - Filling vacancies
    263 (1) If a vacancy occurs in the office of a member of council, the municipality shall, subject to this section,

(a) fill the vacancy by appointing a person who has consented to accept the office if appointed; or
(b) require a by-election to be held to fill the vacancy in accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, 1996.  2001, c. 25, s. 263 (1).

262 (1) If the office of a member of a council becomes vacant under section 259, the council shall at its next meeting declare the office to be vacant, except if a vacancy occurs as a result of the death of a member, the declaration may be made at either of its next two meetings.  2001, c. 25, s. 262 (1).

The declaration would come to the November 7, 2018 meeting of Council and then the new Council would have 60 days to fill the vacancy.

Rules applying to filling vacancies
(5) The following rules apply to filling vacancies:
1. Within 60 days after the day a declaration of vacancy is made with respect to the vacancy under section 262, the municipality shall,
i. appoint a person to fill the vacancy under subsection (1) or (4), or
ii. pass a by-law requiring a by-election be held to fill the vacancy under subsection (1).

May a potential candidate purchase campaign advertising material in advance of the first day of filing for nominations (May 1, 2018) in order to take advantage of sale pricing?

The answer received from the Ministry of Municipal Affair is  ‘NO’.  No money can be spent until Nomination Papers are filed with the Municipality. 

When may people actually publicly campaign, that is, asking for support at the polls, posting on social media, their intent to run or their platform or campaigning in general in the public or at public functions?

No campaigning of any sort before the candidate registers their nomination at the Municipal Office. 
No ordering of signs or any election campaign material, no posting on social media informing public intent to run - that would fall under the definition of "campaigning." 
No use of the municipal logo after you have put in nomination papers or  if you have the intent to run, therefore no use of the corporate logo after May 1st. eg. wearing an HH logo jacket. eg. Should not be handing out HH  business cards unless it has nothing to do with campaigning. 
Also, you must use your personal email address for campaigning and state on May 1 on what your facebook page is being used for in your "About" section. (If using FB).

For further information please refer to the 'Use of Corporate Resources Policy' posted in the documents section of the Candidate Information TAB.

Can a candidate rent a spot at the Maynooth Farmer's Market where they are working a table for their business,  allowing them to have campaign flyers on their table?

Yes, after nomination papers have been filed and a market value rental fee has been established ...and anyone else can do the same. Anyone can rent a stall or table, and anyone can come to the market, so it’s fair game to put your flyers on your table.

Regarding Facebook:

Can you use your personal Facebook account to campaign or do you have to have a Facebook page especially for the election, much like if you have a business connected to your personal Facebook?

Yes, after submitting your nomination you can use your personal Facebook page. If you are a current member of council you need to state what the page is being used for eg: “This FB page is being used for both Council work and election campaign purposes.” If you are not currently a member of Council, it would be transparent to say “this FB page is for personal and for election campaign purposes.”

When is the Voters List and the electronic Voters List to be available to candidates?

The Voters List and the electronic Voters List become available to candidates on Tuesday, September 4, 2018.
Corrections to the Preliminary List of Electors (PLE) which is reproduced as the Voters List are still being completed on Friday August 31, 2018.

May a rate payer sign more than one endorsement sheet for more than one candidate?

An eligible elector may sign more than one candidate endorsement sheet. They are simply signing to say they will be a registered voter at the time of the October 22 election.

May a candidate sign another candidates endorsement sheet?

A candidate may sign another candidates endorsement sheet provided they are a registered voter, which they would be if they are running for office.

Can your spouse sign your Form 2 - Endorsement of Nomination?

There is nothing that says a spouse cannot sign your endorsement of nomination form, provided everything else on the form has been satisfied.

Can we start getting the endorsement signatures now?

You may get started now, as you are required to have it with you upon registration.