Services & Departments
Building & Planning
We strive to enhance the quality of community life with particular emphasis on environmental, health, accessibility and life safety issues related to building construction.
This mission is accomplished by meeting or exceeding Provincially prescribed levels of service in a cost-effective and consistent manner within a corporate climate that is open, responsive, progressive and fair.
We are leaders in the promotion of a working relationship that facilitates sustainable development, prevents building failure and satisfies our customers. Together we can make Hastings Highlands a better place to build and live.
The department reviews permit applications, issues permits, and conducts inspections in accordance with the Ontario Building Code, the Municipal Zoning Bylaw and other legislation.
The department also performs preliminary reviews of building projects, and provides zoning and Building Code information to the public, committees and other agencies.
Building Department staff would be happy to discuss your building plans, answer any questions, and help guide you through the permitting process. Call to book an appointment to ensure that a Building Official will be available to talk with you.
Frank Mills, Chief Building Official
Phone: 613 338-2811 (ext: 255)
Fax: 613 338-3292
Frank is usually in the office first thing in the morning, it is best to call him at 8am to book an appt for an inspection.
click here for 2016 Annual Report on Building Building Permit Fees
Building & Planning Documents
- Boat House Definition Bylaw 2016-0482017-10-16
- Consent Process Booklet2017-02-16
- Severance Application2017-02-16
- Building Permit Application (pdf)2017-02-13
- Shore Road Purchase Application2017-01-26
- Shore Road-Closure Checklist2017-01-26
- Shore Road Purchase Checklist2017-01-26
- 2017 Building Department Fees & Charges Schedule (pdf)2017-01-18
- Application for Consent-fillable form2016-12-13
- Application for Consent2016-12-13
- Instructions for Applying for Building Permit (pdf)2016-06-06
- Applicant Shore Road Checklist (pdf)2015-02-10
- Request For Service Form re: Planning Dept.2015-02-09
- Water Quality Impact Assessment Agreement (pdf)2014-09-30
- Septic Systems (pdf)2014-07-04
- Shorelines (pdf)2014-07-04
- Shore Road Acknowledgment (pdf)2014-05-23
- Septic Smart Booklet (pdf)2014-05-05
- Building Code Act (pdf)2013-12-10
- Site Plan Sample (pdf)2013-10-12
- The Shore Primer (pdf)2013-09-27
- The Dock Primer (pdf)2013-09-27
- Cottage Exemption Declaration (pdf)2012-12-17
- Application to rezone (pdf)2012-03-19
- Application to rezone (word doc)2012-03-19
- Building Code 2007 (pdf)2012-02-27
- 2012 Building Code Changes (pdf)2012-01-27
- Application to Rezone instructions (pdf)2011-12-15
- Minor Variance Application (pdf)2011-08-15
- Minor Variance Applications (word doc)2011-08-15
- Site Plan Control By-law (pdf)2007-10-12
- Disability Access Plan 2007 (pdf)2007-10-05
- Building Official Code of Conduct (pdf)2007-06-26
- Comprehensive Zoning By-Law 2004-035 (pdf)2007-05-20