Services & Departments
Bylaws and Bylaw Enforcement
The Municipality is in the process of making its bylaws available electronically.We have hundereds of bylaws and will post those on our website which are asked for the most by the public. If there is is bylaw that you would like to see posted please email us at email@example.com Older bylaws will be added as time and funds permit. Paper copies of all bylaws are available at the Municipal office.
The Bylaw Enforcement Department is responsible for the enforcement of bylaws passed by Council for the Municipality of Hastings Highlands. Typical issues that are dealt with include,
- Accumulation of debris on private property
- Illegal dumping
- Mandatory recycling
- Animal control
- Zoning Bylaw violations (e.g. illegal placement of trailers on vacant lands)
Bylaw complaints must be registered in writing. Complaints sent on the Municipal bylaw complaint form will be accepted by email. (see below at bottom of page for the form). Complaints will be accepted only if the following information is provided:
- Complainant name, address and telephone number.
- Complaint location (address).
- Satisfactory explanation of the complaint and details that would assist with an investigation.
- Summary of when and where the problem/infraction is occuring.
To file a noise complaint during regular business hours call the Planning Department at 613 338-2811 ext 222 to leave a message for the Bylaw Officer.
Mike Priestley - Bylaw Enforcement Officer
Phone: (613) 338-2811 Ext. 222 to leave a message with the Planning Clerk
Phone: After hours please call: 1-877-338- 2818 to leave him a message
For after-hours noise complaints, please contact the Ontario Provincial Police at 1-888-310-1122.
To report a nuisance bear around your property, contact the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) Bear Wise hotline at 1-866-514-BEAR(2327), TTY 705-945-7641. In an immediate emergency call 9-1-1.
Our primary goals and objectives are to provide services which focus on public safety and a balanced quality of life in our community.
Bylaws and Bylaw Enforcement Documents
- Flying Lantern Ban2017-05-15
- Antenna Siting Protocol Bylaw 2017-022 (pdf)2017-02-24
- 2017 User Fee Bylaw2017-01-24
- Private Road Bylaw2016-12-05
- Entrance Permit Bylaw and Application 2016-052 (pdf)2016-09-20
- Application for Sign Permit (word doc)2016-07-22
- SIGN BY-LAW 2016 - 060 (pdf)2016-07-22
- Accessory Buildings LSR, WR and LSRI zoning & 'Tiny Houses'2016-05-24
- 2016 - 033 Complaints Policy (pdf)2016-05-18
- Procurement Policy Bylaw 2016-0242016-04-20
- By-Law Enforcement Office-Formal Complaint Report Form (word)2015-08-28
- ATV/Off Road Vehicles (pdf)2015-06-17
- 2010 - 12 Zoning By-Law Amendment (pdf)2015-03-25
- 2012 - 45 Zoning By-Law Amendment (pdf)2015-03-25
- By-Law Enforcement Office-Formal Complaint Report Form (pdf)2015-02-11
- Zoning By-law 2004-35 (pdf)2011-05-17
- 2010-006 Noise by-law (pdf)2010-04-09
- Dog By-law (pdf)2009-07-07
- Kennel By-law (pdf)2008-07-30
- Procedure for Sale of Land other than Shoreline (pdf)2008-06-11
- Property Standards By-law 2002-15 (pdf)2007-12-14
- Hawkers and Peddlers (pdf)2006-07-27