Services & Departments
The Municipality of Hastings Highlands provides depot service for the collection of all waste, including garbage and recycling. Our waste management operations are governed by the Municipality of Hastings Highlands Waste Management Bylaw and individual Certificates of Approval for each waste management site.
Non‐bagged brush, furniture, appliances and other materials must be taken to the Landfill sites
during normal hours as per the below schedule (see pdf's), and may be subject to tipping fees.
For further information call 613‐338‐2811 – Ext. 288 to speak to the Adrian Tomasini, Operations Manager.
Any Waste sites that are normally open on Sundays, 'may' be open Holiday Mondays as well. Please see pdf's at the bottom of this page for the Waste Site hours of operation.
Clear Bag Policy for Garbage:
Our clear bag policy went into full effect October 2014. Please refer Waste Management Documents at the bottom of the page for Land Fill Site Hours and Recycling and Garbage Instructions.
*NO BLACK OR DARK GREEN or TINTED GARBAGE BAGS ACCEPTED!* CLEAR BAGS ONLY FOR GARBAGE
FOR RECYCLING - please don't put drop your plastic bags into the recycle bins. Please empty out your bag into the bin, or take your recycling to the landfill site in a cardboard box or a recycle bin available from our office. *Please dump recyclables LOOSE into the bins *
PLEASE SEE THE Wate Management Document at the bottom of the page titled Garbage/Recycling at Landfill Site Instructions
The Waste Site Landfill Attendants should be able to determine that there are no recyclable or hazardous waste materials in garbage bags or going into our landfills. If any recyclable materials or prohibited waste are found within the bags, the bags will be refused or the Attendant will ask you to remove and properly sort the waste.
Illegal dumping is the dumping of waste anywhere except at an approved waste disposal site. This includes in the woods, along the side of the road, on private property, in someone else’s dumpster without permission, or at the gate of a waste management site. Illegal dumping is costly to taxpayers and damaging to the environment. Incidents of illegal dumping are investigated by the Bylaw Enforcement Officer, and offenders could receive fines of $2000 per incident.
Household Battery Recycling:
We have a container in our Lobby in Maynooth for Household Battery Recyling. Please come by and drop off your used Household batteries.
Living in Bear Country:
Hastings Highlands is bear country and bears love garbage. But with careful management of your waste, you can reduce the chance of attracting bears to your property:
Do not stockpile garbage. Take it to the landfill frequently.
Keep meat scraps and cooked food waste in the freezer until you are ready to take it to the landfill.
Store garbage in a bear-resistant container, secure shed or garage.
Never put meat, bones, fish or dairy products in your compost bin.
For more information on what you can do to reduce the chance of attracting bears to your home or cottage, visit the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) Bear Wise website. To report a bear problem, contact the MNR Bear Reporting Line at 1-866-514-2327, TTY 705-945-7671. In an immediate emergency, call your local police or 9-1-1.
Waste Management Documents
- Municipal Landfill Assessment2017-04-11
- 2017 Waste Site Tipping Fees2017-01-24
- 2017 Waste Tipping Fees (pdf)2017-01-18
- Landfill Fall/Winter 2016-17 Hours beginning October 11, 2016 (pdf)2017-01-18
- 2017 SUMMER Waste Site Hours2017-01-17
- HH Musclow Greenview Waste Site 2015 Annual Monitoring2016-09-20
- HH Wolf Creek Waste Site 2015 Annual Monitoring2016-09-20
- HH Sand Bay Waste Site 2015 Annual Monitoring2016-09-20
- HH Papineau Waste Site 2015 Annual Monitoring2016-09-20
- HH Lake St. Peter Waste Site 2015 Annual Monitoring2016-09-20
- HH Hickey Road Waste Site 2015 Annual Monitoring2016-09-20
- HH East Lake Waste Site 2015 Annual Monitoring2016-09-20
- HH North Baptiste Waste Site 2015 Annual Monitoring2016-09-20
- HH South Baptiste Waste Site 2015 Annual Monitoring2016-09-20
- Oct 2-2016 Household Hazardous Waste Day in Maynooth2016-08-31
- Joint Household Hazardous Waste July 9-20162016-04-08
- Agenda for Waste Committee Mtg Jan 28/16 3pm2016-01-28
- Garbage/Recycling at Landfill Site Instructions (pdf)2016-01-26
- Agenda for Waste Management Committee Mtg Oct 13/15 at 3pm2015-10-13
- Agenda for Waste Management Committee Mtg Sept 23/15 at 2pm2015-09-23
- Km from Bancroft to all the Waste Sites (pdf)2015-02-20
- Request For Service Form re: Waste Dept. (pdf)2015-02-09
- Residents Notice - no Curbside Collection for 2015 (pdf)2014-11-27
- 2013.10.24 Additional Hydro G Study - DRAFT (pdf)2013-12-19
- Public Consultation Compiled - Septage Management (pdf)2013-12-19
- PPS Statement on Septage (pdf)2012-12-21
- Septage Oct 6 Powerpoint Presentation (pdf)2012-10-06
- Candidate Site Feasibility Study Oct 1/12 (pdf)2012-10-04
- Septage HydroG Figures (pdf)2012-09-14
- Draft Septage HydroG Report less Figures (pdf)2012-09-14
- Draft Hydro G for Septage - 14 pages (pdf)2012-09-05
- Updated Investigation of Septage Candidate Sites (pdf)2012-04-13
- Septage Evaluation of Alternative Approaches (pdf)2012-03-13
- Septage Evaluation of Candidate Sites (pdf)2012-03-12
- Septage Stakeholder Workshop (pdf)2011-12-02
- Septage - Public Input Invited (pdf)2011-11-02
- Powerpoint Presentation on Septage (pdf)2011-08-18
- Request for Septage Lands (pdf)2011-08-18
- Septage Management Strategy (pdf)2011-07-07
- Papineau Landfill Monitoring Report (pdf)2011-07-06
- Recycling Promotion & Education (pdf)2011-05-20
- Waste Recyling Strategy (pdf)2011-02-23
- Class EA - Septage Management Strategy Notice (pdf)2011-01-06