May 10, 2021
May 11, 2021 marks the Provincial Day of Action on Litter. Join Hastings Highlands in taking action to reduce the amount of waste going to landfills or becoming litter by bringing awareness to the impacts of waste on our environment and encouraging people to take action at home and in their community to help keep our environment clean and healthy for generations to come.
We generate nearly one tonne of waste per person every year in Ontario. It is estimated that almost 10,000 tonnes of plastic debris enter Ontario’s lakes and rivers each year.
– Almost 50% of waste is diverted through blue box or green bins
– 70% of general waste materials from residential, commercial and industrial locations end up in landfills
As we all do our part to help stop the spread of COVID-19, there are also actions we can take to put litter in its proper place while staying at home and physically distancing.
You can do this by:
Reducing waste: giving old products new life instead of throwing them away. For example, using old containers for storage.
Diverting waste: recycling or composting materials when and where possible to divert waste away from landfills. For example, by using your blue and green bins.
Preventing waste: stopping waste before its created. For example, by choosing to buy goods with less packaging.
Properly disposing waste: making sure anything that does belong in the trash, such as disposable gloves and masks, is placed in properly tied or sealed garbage bags to keep our neighbourhoods clean and safe
Food and Organic Waste:
– When food or organics end up in landfills, they release methane gas – a substance with a global warming potential twenty-five times greater than CO2.
– When we send our food and organics to landfills, we lose the opportunity to recover the value of nutrients which could be returned to the earth where they can be used to benefit and support healthy soils and reduce GHG emissions.
What You Can Do..
Tips for around the house:
– Become an expert on what goes in the blue box in your municipality
– Reuse or properly wash and recycle take-out food containers
Tips for around your backyard:
– Create your own compost station outside for your garden soil.
– Use old towels to clean your outside windows, table tops and chairs.
For more tips and tricks on what you can do visit: https://www.ontario.ca/page/act-on-litter#section-2