January 17, 2022
The Corporation of the Municipality of Hastings Highlands is a rural community with a population of approximately 4,078. The seasonal population of the Municipality increases significantly in the summer months due to seasonal citizens and visitors. The municipality is comprised of an abundance of lakes and waterways that encompass the 972.54 square kilometers (37.50 square miles) of lands, with approximately 50% of those identified as Crown Land.
The Corporation of the Municipality of Hastings Highlands is currently recruiting a committed, dependable, and tactful professional with strong attention to detail to fill the full-time position of Fire Chief.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Fire Chief is responsible for providing accountability, leadership, and a vision to the future for the Hastings Highlands Fire Department. As a senior member of the leadership team, the Fire Chief is responsible for managing both financial and human resources. Additionally, the Fire Chief is accountable for working closely with both internal and external stakeholders, media, Municipal Council, and the local school board.
A high degree of responsibility for the protection of lives and property are inherent within the role of Fire Chief. The Fire Chief will be responsible in the delivery of the Three Lines of Defence as identified by the Ontario Office of the Fire Marshal; in the order they represent:
- Public Education
- Code Enforcement
More specifically, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Responding to all alarms of emergency calls for service, if necessary, assumes command of the complex scenes.
- Drafting policy and procedures, operational guidelines, or documents necessary to maintain or increase departmental efficiency.
- Supervising fire ground operations to ensure that the officers and firefighters operate in a manner consistent with established policy and procedures and operating guidelines.
- Conducting origin and cause investigation of fires, ensures that the necessary forms are completed and that the appropriate outside agencies are contacted and briefed on the circumstances.
- Meeting regularly with subordinate officers and assist in developing and maintaining a progressive and efficient training program.
- Administrative duties such as, but not limited to, data entry, year-end fire fighter payroll, inventory, creation of forms, and creation of training materials when required.
- Maintaining a positive work environment that embraces diversity, teamwork, safety, and accountability.
- Completion and maintenance of the Hazard Identification Risk Assessment (HIRA).
- Annual documented completion of the following:
- Simplified Risk Assessment,
- Smoke Alarm Program,
- Public Safety Education Program,
- Inspections upon Request and Complaint.
The preferred candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Post-secondary education in Emergency Services Management, Fire Service Administration, Fire Safety, Business Administration, Accounting, or relevant combination of professional discipline.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible leadership experience in fire and emergency services.
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience in municipal government or legal field.
- Certification in the following National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) qualifications: NFPA 1001 Firefighter I & II, NFPA 1021 Fire Officer I & II, NFPA 1031 Fire Inspector I, NFPA 1035 Public Education I, NFPA 1072 Hazardous Materials Technician, NFPA 1521 Incident Safety Officer and NFPA 1041 Fire Instructor I and II.
- NFPA 1021 Fire Officer III and IV and Humber College Fire Services Executive; Management Certificate would be considered an asset.
- Dalhousie University Fire Service Leadership and Fire Service Administration programs would be considered an asset.
- Experience in all areas of fire services including fire prevention, public education, investigations, code enforcement, communications, mechanical maintenance, fire suppression and emergency response.
- Required, excellent organizational, analytical, interpersonal, and public relations, written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Windows, and Microsoft Office environment including PowerPoint presentations and Excel spreadsheets.
- Advanced knowledge of Municipal Bylaws and Federal and Provincial Acts and Regulations relating to the activities of the Fire Department.
- Ability to ensure confidentiality in all matters, while exercising tact and diplomacy.
- Must possess a valid Class “DZ” Ontario Driver’s Licence.
Hiring will be subject to the submission of a Criminal Record check and verification of education and experience requirements, in addition to the submission of a valid and acceptable Drivers Abstract.
The Municipality offers an annual salary range of $79,384.50 – $99,255.00 per year.
Applicants are invited to submit resumes in confidence by 3:00 p.m. on February 4, 2022, to:
Municipality of Hastings Highlands
33011 Highway 62, P.O. Box 130,
Maynooth, ON K0L 2S0
Email: [email protected]