March 31, 2022
Deputy Fire Chief
The Corporation of the Municipality of Hastings Highlands is currently recruiting an energetic and motivated professional with superior communication, organizational, and administrative skills to fill the full-time position of Deputy Fire Chief.
Reporting to the Fire Chief, the Deputy Fire Chief assists the Fire Chief with overseeing fire station operations, fire suppression, rescue, and training in a supervisory role. This position would also be responsible for supporting the fire department and its staff by carrying out administrative assignments under the direction of the Fire Chief. Attention to detail in the management of data and file retention is critical for this position. The Deputy Fire Chief relieves the Fire Chief during sick leave, time off, vacations, seminars, conventions, etc. A high degree of responsibility for the protection of lives and property are inherent within the role of Deputy Fire Chief. The Deputy Fire Chief will be expected to respond and work in all types of weather and less than ideal conditions.
More specifically, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Execute policies and directives established by Council;
- Administer the requirements of the Ontario Fire Protection and Prevention Act, the Ontario Fire Code and mandated directives/policies of the Ontario Fire Marshall;
- Directs or oversees the emergency response, public education, fire prevention, inspection and administration activity of the department;
- Supervises fire ground operations to ensure that the officers and firefighters operate in a manner consistent with established procedures and accepted firefighting methods;
- Advises the Fire Chief of any changes in policies, procedures, operational guidelines or methods necessary to maintain or increase the firefighting efficiency;
- Advises the Fire Chief of any repairs necessary to maintain the vehicles, equipment and stations;
- Accountable for health and safety responsibilities including staff adherence to the OHSA and Hastings Highlands Health and Safety Policies and Procedures;
- Meets regularly with subordinate officers and the Fire Chief to assist in developing, maintaining and delivering a progressive and efficient training program;
- Assumes duties of the Fire Chief during absence and participates in a rotational coverage schedule;
- Administrative duties such as, but not limited to: data entry, purchasing, year-end fire fighter payroll, inventory, creation of forms, and creation of training materials.
The preferred candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Post-secondary education in Emergency Services Management, Fire Administration, Business, Administration or relevant professional discipline;
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible leadership experience in fire and rescue services;
- Minimum of 1-3 years experience in municipal government or legal field;
- Certification in NFPA 1001 Firefighter I & II, NFPA 1021 Fire Officer I & II, NFPA 1031 Fire Inspector I, NFPA 1035 Public Education I and NFPA 1041 Fire Instructor I or Grandfathered to the same level, with experience in all areas of fire services including fire prevention, public education, investigations, code enforcement, communications, mechanical, fire suppression and emergency response;
- NFPA 1021 Fire Officer III and IV or Humber Fire Services Executive; Management Certificate would be considered an asset;
- Must be willing to receive and successfully complete the necessary training/education as deemed appropriate;
- Excellent organizational, analytical, interpersonal, and public relations, written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to ensure confidentiality in all matters, while exercising tact and diplomacy;
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Windows, and Microsoft Office environment including PowerPoint presentations and Excel spreadsheets;
- Basic knowledge of Municipal Bylaws and Federal and Provincial Acts and Regulations relating to the activities of the Fire Department;
- Must possess a valid Class “DZ” Ontario Driver’s Licence.
Hiring will be subject to the successful submission of a Criminal Record check and verification of education and experience requirements.
The Municipality offers an annual salary range of $54,190.50 to $67,743.00 per year.
Applicants are invited to submit resumes in confidence by 3:00 p.m. on April 15, 2022 to:
Municipality of Hastings Highlands
33011 Highway 62, P.O. Box 130,
Maynooth, ON K0L 2S0
Email: [email protected]
For a full job description click here>>>https://hastingshighlands.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/HHFD-FT-Deputy-Chief-Job-Description-2022.pdf
The Municipality of Hastings Highlands wishes to thank all applicants who apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Municipality is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Please advise if you require accommodation and the Municipality will endeavour to accommodate qualified candidates in all parts of the hiring process. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used for employment assessment purposes only.