Skip to content

Bylaw Enforcement

The Municipal Law Enforcement Officer has a variety of responsibilities including the enforcement of parking, animal control, noise complaints, illegal dumping, property standards, zoning and sign bylaws, as well as being a livestock valuer.  Other bylaws which impose regulations on the general public are also enforced.

The Municipality is committed to the delivery of municipal law enforcement services in a timely and effective manner.
The Municipality’s Bylaw Complaints Policy governs the handling of municipal bylaw complaints by the Municipality. The policy ensures standardized, thorough, prompt and courteous receipt, processing, investigation and resolution.

Accessible Parking

Please be aware that there is a minimum $300.00 fine for the misuse of an accessible parking permit or a designated accessible parking space

Illegal Dumping

When someone puts waste materials on municipal or private property without the permission of the property owner it is considered illegal dumping.  It is illegal to dump garbage on any roadside and this includes outside of any Waste Disposal Site during closed hours. The ‘Clean Municipality’ Bylaw 2018-074 and provincial environmental protection laws apply to anyone who dumps garbage illegally. IT IS A CRIME!

PLEASE NOTE: No person shall enter onto any municipal waste site other than during operating hours.  If anyone enters onto these properties during closed hours, it is trespassing, and they will be fined $250.00. The unauthorized removal of materials from any municipal waste site is theft.  Anyone stealing from our waste sites will be fined $250.00 and could face criminal charges.

Clean Municipality Bylaw 2018-074

Noise – Fireworks Bylaw

The Bylaw Department is responsible for enforcing the Municipal Noise Bylaw 2020-062.  Fireworks are regulated under the Noise Bylaw and no person shall set off any Fireworks except on Fridays and Saturdays between dusk and 11:00 p.m.from June 20th to Thanksgiving Weekend Monday, and to include New Year’s Eve, Victoria Day, Canada Day and Labour Day; unless permitted by the Municipality, contact the O.P.P., if necessary.

Noise – Fireworks Bylaw 2020-062

Property Standards

The Municipality of Hastings Highlands has prescribed property standards for the maintenance and occupancy of property within the Municipality of Hastings Highlands. All property owners are required to repair and maintain their properties in compliance with the minimum maintenance standards included in the Hastings Highlands Property Standards Bylaw 2018-086.  These standards are put in place to protect the health and safety of occupants/tenants as well as the general public.  

Property Standards Bylaw 2018-086

Regulating the Keeping of Dogs

The Municipality of Hastings Highlands enacted Bylaw 2019-098 for the purpose of prohibiting dogs “being at large”; for the purpose of requiring the removal of dog waste; and for the purpose of generally regulating the keeping of dogs in the Municipality.

Bylaw 2019-098 Regulate the Keeping of Dogs
FAQs Amendments to the Provincial Animal Welfare Services Act
Fact Sheet – Standards of Care for Outdoor Dogs

Signs and Advertising Devices

The Sign Bylaw regulates signs and other advertising devices within the Municipality of Hastings Highlands.  Any sign that is erected or altered in contravention of Bylaw 2016-060, shall be removed by the Municipality at the owner’s expense.  The person who contravenes this bylaw is guilty of an offence and upon conviction is liable to a fine under the Provincial Offences Act.

Sign Bylaw 2020-019

Winter Parking Restrictions

No person shall park a vehicle on any of the streets, highways, boulevards or any municipal parking lot in the Municipality of Hastings Highlands in such a manner that interferes with the clearing of snow between the hours of 12:00 midnight and 7:00 a.m. from October 15th to April 15th.  This is related to Parking Bylaw 2012-068.  The fine associated with this offence is $300.00 and your vehicle may be towed at your own expense.

Parking Bylaw 2020-09

See our Bylaw Directory for a list of additional, commonly requested bylaws.

Need to Report a Bylaw Infraction?

Follow the steps below to submit a Customer Service Request (CSR):

  1. Step 1 – Report the problem or concern (pothole, snow clearing, downed sign etc.) by submitting a Customer Service Request (in-person, by phone, email or on our website).
  2. Step 2 – You will receive a notification acknowledging receipt of your customer service request along with a case number assigned to your request.
  3. Step 3 – Once we have closed/completed your request you will receive a notification.

For more information and alternative ways to contact the Municipality visit our Customer Service Management Page.

Administrative Monetary Penalty System

A.M.P.S Bylaw 2022-018
The Administrative Monetary Penalties System (A.M.P.S.) is an emerging approach to dealing with minor bylaw infractions in a manner that is fair, effective and efficient. The Penalty Notice is issued by a Municipal Law Enforcement Officer to an individual when they have committed a bylaw infraction. A Penalty Notice is the same as a “ticket” except that it requires payment of a penalty instead of a fine. 

A.M.P.S. transfers bylaw disputes from the courtroom to the municipality through the use of a Screening and a Hearing Officer.  The Screening and Hearing Officer is able to modify, cancel, or affirm penalties. This approach aids in reducing congestion in the courts as well as providing a more local and accessible dispute resolution system for the public.  

Penalty Notices issued under A.M.P.S does not cost more than traditional fines. However, in certain cases, additional administrative fees may be applied to the original penalty amount.  For instance, additional administrative fees are applied to late payments, the failure to attend a scheduled review with a Screening or Hearing Officer, and Ministry of Transportation (M.T.O.) searches. 

Penalty Notice Payment Options:

a)    On-line:
For further information on how to pay for your penalty notice on-line, call (613)338-2811 or 1-877-338-2818.
b)   By Mail:
Write the Penalty Notice number on the front of your cheque or money order, make payable to “The Municipality of Hastings Highlands” and mail to:
The Municipality of Hastings Highlands – Bylaw Enforcement Department 
33011 Hwy 62 N – P.O. Box 130,
Maynooth, Ontario
K0L 2S0

DO NOT SEND CASH BY MAIL.  Post-dated cheques or payments by installments will not be accepted.  NSF cheques will be subject to an additional administrative fee. 
c)    In Person: Submit in Office Drop-off Box
The Municipality of Hastings Highlands
33011 Hwy 62 N
Maynooth, Ontario
K0L 2S0

Screening Request to Review Penalty

The Municipality of Hastings Highlands offers the convenience of scheduling an appointment with a Screening Officer to review your Penalty Notice under the Municipality’s Administrative Penalty System. Select the ‘Request for Screening Review’ button below for access to the application.

Filing a Bylaw Complaint

All complaints must be submitted to the Bylaw Enforcement Department in writing, either hard copy or via email with the complainants contact information and nature of alleged complaint.  Anonymous complaints will not be accepted.  All personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

Additional Services and Resources

Livestock Valuer

The Hastings Highlands Bylaw Department investigates damages to livestock caused by wildlife. The Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program (OWDC) provides financial assistance to producers whose livestock, poultry and honey bees have been damaged by wildlife. When a producer (the owner of livestock, poultry or bees) believes that they have suffered a loss of livestock, poultry or bees due to predation the owner should immediately notify the municipal Livestock Valuer, Dawn Bowers at (613) 338-2811 Ext. 235 or via email at [email protected]

The Livestock Valuer will immediately make a full investigation and submit a written report to the Municipal Clerk within 10 days. A copy of the report is also provided to the producer of livestock, poultry or bees.

The OWDC requires that a producer meet certain criteria to be eligible under the program. Some of the requirements are as follows:

Be a sole proprietor, corporation, partnership or unincorporated association
Have a valid Farm Business Registration number
Have a Premises Identification number
The weight of poultry injured or killed must be more than 25 kilograms
Must demonstrate to the valuer that reasonable effort has been taken to prevent incidences of wildlife damage to livestock, poultry, beehives, bee colonies or beehive related equipment to be eligible for a claim

Bylaw 2018-129 Appointment of a Livestock Valuer

Link: Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program Guidelines

Animal Services

Did you find a lost dog?
If you have a lost dog in your care and are within the Municipality of Hastings Highlands, please contact the Hastings Highlands Bylaw Enforcement Officer at (613) 338-2811 xt 235.

Do you have concerns regarding the welfare of an animal?
If you have any concerns regarding the welfare of an animal, please contact the Animal Human Society at their new 24/7 Animal Welfare Hotline 1-833-9ANIMAL (1-833-926-4625). If you need to report an animal attack, please contact your local Police Service.
FAQs Amendments to the Provincial Animal Welfare Services Act
Fact Sheet – Standards of Care for Outdoor Dogs

Wildlife: Sick or Injured
If you encounter wildlife that is sick or injured, wildlife that poses a threat to humans or domestic animals, or wildlife that displays signs or symptoms of rabies, do not touch or handle the animal. Contact the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF) at 1-800-667-1940 or visit their website at

Wildlife: Nuisance
The Municipality of Hastings Highlands does not provide trapping or relocation services for nuisance wildlife (this includes feral cats). Wildlife-proofing your home or business is the most effective way to deter nuisance wildlife. Trapping and relocating wildlife is only a temporary solution as other animals tend to relocate into the area.

Coyotes have adapted to urban areas and it is quite normal to see coyotes. Coyotes are generally shy animals that avoid confrontation. They are also opportunistic animals that are drawn to places where they can find food easily. If you encounter a coyote, do not turn your back or run away. Instead, remain calm and back away slowly. If you’re out for a walk bring a whistle to frighten any approaching animals. Always walk your pets on a leash and keep cats inside. More information about coyotes can be obtained through the MNRF website at

If you encounter a bear in your neighbourhood and are concerned about an imminent threat to public safety, call 9-1-1.  In a non-emergency situation, call the Province’s Bear Wise reporting line at 1 (866) 514-BEAR (2327) (between April 1st and November 30th). Between Dec 1st and March 31st, please contact the MNRF . Further information is available through the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry Bear Wise website

Good ‘Neighbour’ Tips

In many instances, issues that come up can be resolved before there’s a need to file a complaint. Here are a few tips to help you build positive relations with your neighbours.

• Get to know your neighbours.
• Talk to them. Establish lines of communication.
• In the course of your conversation, convey what is important to you, and invite them to convey what is important to them.
• If you have a concern, respectfully make your neighbours aware of it, and allow them the opportunity to correct or change what they have been doing. This keeps the lines of communication open. In many situations, once the other person is aware their actions are causing a concern, they work to correct it.

It is much nicer to live in a neighbourhood where people work at being good neighbours versus living in a neighbourhood where everyone just does their own thing without care for what effect it has on others.

Dawn Bowers – Hastings Highlands Bylaw Enforcement Officer
Phone: (613) 338-2811 Ext. 235
Email: [email protected]   


For after-hours noise complaints, please contact the Ontario Provincial Police at 1-888-310-1122.